1. Silica-Based and Borate-Based, Titania-Containing Bioactive Coatings Characterization: Critical Strain Energy Release Rate, Residual Stresses, Hardness, and Thermal Expansion, O. Rodriguez, A. Matinmanesh, S. Phull, E.H. Schemitsch, P. Zalzal, O.M. Clarkin, M Papini, M.R. Towler, J. Funct. Biomater. 7; 4, pp. 32 (2016).
2. A Bioactive Metallurgical Grade Porous Silicon-Polytetrafluoroethylene Sheet for Guided Bone Regeneration Application, E. Chadwick, O.M. Clarkin, R. Raghavendra, D.A. Tanner, Bio-Medical Materials and Engineering 24, pp. 1563 (2014).
3. Fabrication of CaO-NaO-SiO2/TiO2 Scaffolds for Surgical Applications, A. W. Wren, A. Coughlan, K.E. Smale, S. T. Misture, B. P. Mahon, O. M. Clarkin, M. R. Towler, J. Mat. Sci. Mat. Med. 23, (12), pp. 2881 (2012).
4. Antibacterial Analysis of a Zinc-based Glass Polyalkenoate Cement, O. M. Clarkin, A. W. Wren, R. Tornton, J. C Cooney, M. R. Towler, (Accepted by) J. Biomat. App. 26; 3, pp. 277 (2011).
5. Hydroxyapatite Formation on Metallurgical Grade Nanoporous Silicon Particles, E. Chadwick, O. M. Clarkin , D. A. Tanner , J. Mat. Sci. 45; 23, pp. 6562 (2010).
6. Evaluation of Novel Aluminum-Free, Zinc-Based Glass Polyalkenoate Cements as Alternatives to PMMA Bone Cement for use in Vertebroplasty and Balloon Kyphoplasty, G. Lewis, M. R. Towler, D. Boyd , M. J. German, A. Wren, O.M. Clarkin, A. Yates; J. Mat. Sci. Mat. Med. 21; 1, pp.59 (2010).
7. Strontium Based Glass Polyalkenoate Cements for Luting Applications in the Human Skeleton, O. Clarkin, D. Boyd, M.R. Towler, J. Biomat. App.24; 6, pp. 483 (2010).
8. The Effect of Glass Synthesis Route on Mechanical and Physical Properties of Resultant Glass Ionomer Cements, A. Wren, O.M. Clarkin, F.R. Laffir, C. Ohtsuki, I.Y. Kim, M.R. Towler, J. Mat. Sci: Mat. Med. 20; 10, pp.1991 (2009).
9. Comparison of Failure Mechanisms for Cements used in Skeletal Luting Applications, O. Clarkin, D. Boyd, M.R. Towler, J. Mat. Sci: Mat. Med. 20; 8, pp.1585 (2009).
10. Comparison of an Experimental Bone Cement with a Commercial Control, Hydroset™, O.M. Clarkin, D. Boyd, S. Madigan & M.R. Towler, J. Mat. Sci: Mat. Med. 20; 7, pp.1563 (2009).
11. Comparison of an Experimental Bone Cement with Surgical Simplex® P, Spineplex® and Cortoss®, D. Boyd, M.R. Towler, A. Wren, O.M. Clarkin, J. Mat. Sci. Mat. Med. 19; 4, pp.1745 (2008).
12. Zinc-based Glass Polyalkenoate Cements with Improved Setting Times and Mechanical Properties; D. Boyd, O.M. Clarkin, A. W. Wren, M.R. Towler, Acta Biomaterialia 4; 2, pp.435 (2008).
13. The Role of Sr2+ on the Structure and Reactivity of SrO-CaO-ZnO-SiO2 Ionomer Glasses, D. Boyd, M.R. Towler, S. Watts, R.G. Hill, A. W. Wren, O.M. Clarkin, J. Mat. Sci. Mat. Med. 19; 2, pp.953 (2008).
14. TEM Analysis of Apatite Surface Layers Observed on Zinc Based Glass Polyalkenoate Cements; D. Boyd, M.R. Towler, A. W. Wren, O.M. Clarkin and D.A. Tanner, J. Mat. Sci. Letters 43; 3, pp.1170 (2007).
15. Phase Transformations of Calcium Phosphates Formed in Wet Field Environments; O.M. Clarkin, M.R. Towler, G.M. Insley, M.E. Murphy, J. Mat. Sci. Mat. Med. 42, pp.8357 (2007).
16. pH Control of the Electrostatic Binding of Gold and Iron Oxide Nanoparticles to Tobacco Mosaic Virus; Khan, A.A., Fox, E. K., Górzny, M.L., Nikulina, E., Brougham, D. F., Wege, C., Bittner, A.M., Langmuir, 2013. 29(7):p. 2094-2098
17. Water-Soluble Superparamagnetic Magnetite Nanoparticles with Biocompatible Coating for Enhanced Magnetic Resonance Imaging; Xiao, L., Li, J., Brougham, D. F., Fox, E. K., Feliu, N., Bushmelev, A., Schmidt, A., Mertens, N., Kiessling, F., Valldor, M., Fadeel, B., Mathur, S., ACS Nano, 2011. 5(8):p. 6315-6324
18. Gadolinium-loaded polychelating amphiphilic polymer as an enhanced MRI contrast agent for human multiple myeloma and non Hodgkin’s lymphoma (human Burkitt’s lymphoma); Kozlowska, D., Biswas, S., Fox, E.K. Wu, B., Bolster, F., Edupuganti, O.P., Torchilin, V., Eustace, S., Botta, M., O’Kennedy, R., Brougham, D. F., RSC Advances 4(35) pp.18007-18016 (2014).
1. O. M. Clarkin, M.R. Towler, D. Boyd, C. Freedman, P. Farthing, I. Brook, An in vitro and in vivo evaluation of a Novel Glass Polyalkenoate Cement, UK Society of Biomaterials, Belfast, UK, June 2009.
2. O. M. Clarkin, M.R. Towler and D.A. Tanner, In Vitro Analysis of a Zinc based Glass Polyalkenoate, 10th Annual Conference of the Yugoslav Materials Research Society, Herceg Novi – Montenegro, September 2008.
3. O.M. Clarkin, D. Boyd, A. Wren, M.R. Towler, S. Watts, R.G.Hill, The Role of Sr2+ on the Structure and Reactivity of SrO-CaO-ZnO-SiO2 Ionomer Glasses, 21st European Conference on Biomaterials, Brighton, UK, September 2007.
4. M.E. Murphy, G.M. Insley, O.M. Clarkin, The Characterisation of Various Calcium Phosphate Preparations, 17th International Society for Technology and Arthroplasty conference, Rome, Italy, September 2004 (contributing author).
1. E. Chadwick, O.M. Clarkin, D.A. Tanner, A study of Hydroxyapatite Growth on Nanoporous Silicon Particles, Inspire-09 National Scientific Meeting, Cork, Ireland, December 2009.
2. E.G. Chadwick, O.M. Clarkin, D.A. Tanner, Combining High Resolution SEM and TEM techniques to investigate the Microstructure, Composition and Bioactivity of Nanoporous Silicon Particles, Materials Ireland 2nd Annual Conference, Cork, Ireland, December 2009.
3. E. Chadwick, O. Clarkin, D.A. Tanner, An Investigation into the Bioactivity of Porous Silicon Nanosponge Particles, Microscopical Society of Ireland 33rd Annual Symposium, Dublin, Ireland, August 2009.
4. O.M. Clarkin, D. Boyd, M.R. Towler, A. Wren, Comparison of an Experimental Bone Cement with Surgical Simplex P, Spineplex, and Cortoss. 8th World Biomaterials Congress, Amsterdam, Netherlands, January 2008.
1. O.M. Clarkin, M.R. Towler, D. Boyd, ‘Zinc-based Biomaterials’ in ‘Advances in Biology and Medicine’, Nova Sciences, pp.1-60, (2010).
2. E.G. Chadwick, O.M. Clarkin, D.A. Tanner, ‘Hydroxyapatite Formation on Metallurgical Grade Porous Silicon Nanosponge Particles’ in ‘Hydroxyapatite: Synthesis, Properties and Applications’, Nova Biomedical, pp. 361-384, (2013).
1. D. Boyd, M.R. Towler & O.M. Clarkin, A formulation: Tri-sodium citrate modified zinc based glass polyalkenoate cements for skeletal applications. Provisional Application filed with Irish and US PTO Dec 2006.